Skip to Content

Family reunification

A residence permit may also be granted on the basis of family ties.

A person living in Finland whose family member living abroad intends to move to Finland to live with them is referred to as a “sponsor”. The sponsor may have moved to Finland to work, to study or they may have been granted asylum in Finland. 

An application may only be filed by the applicant who is living abroad. An application on behalf of a minor is completed and submitted by his or her custodian. 

The application can be submitted electronically via Enter Finland online portal or in paper at a Finnish mission. The decision is made by the Finnish Immigration Service.

Read more:
Moving to Finland to be with a family member