Skip to Content

The settling of an unaccompanied minor in a municipality requires cross-sectoral cooperation

The settling of an unaccompanied minor in a municipality requires close cooperation between the representative of the unaccompanied minor, the reception centre, the municipality, the social workers of the wellbeing services county and the ELY Centre.

It is important that an unaccompanied minor asylum seeker does not have to move to another locality after obtaining a residence permit and can remain in the same environment or in the same locality where he or she has applied for asylum.

When placing a child in a municipality, the aspects to consider include

  • continuity of residence,
  • services available in the municipality, and
  • the possibilities for a child or young person to keep in contact with their relatives and friends in Finland.

The assessment of the young person's further placement is jointly made by the social workers of the reception centre and the host municipality, the young person's representative and the young person themselves. The aim is to find the most suitable form of housing and education for every young person, as well as an occupation and employment in the longer term.

Young people may move to a municipality to be placed in a family group home, supported housing or family care.

If the unaccompanied minor has been granted a residence permit, they may continue to live in private accommodation if it is considered to be in their best interests. If a minor moves into private accommodation directly from the reception centre, the wellbeing services county must determine the suitability of the private accommodation for them. In some cases, the person providing private accommodation can be trained as a family carer - The Family Care Act contains more detailed provisions on this.

An integration plan is always drawn up by the municipality, in cooperation with the wellbeing services county, for an unaccompanied minor asylum seeker. The integration plan must be drawn up in the presence of the child, their representative and an interpreter.

Supervised leisure activities support a child's integration

An integration plan is always drawn up by the municipality for an unaccompanied minor asylum seeker. As a municipal resident, a child has the right to participate in all activities in which other children and young people participate. Schooling, hobbies and other leisure activities support the integration of children. Representatives of early childhood education, primary and secondary education, youth and social welfare and health services play a key role in the integration of children.