The legislation relevant to immigration and promoting integration and the work to develop this legislation are based on
- objectives set by the Finnish government,
- European Union (EU) legislation and
- international conventions binding on Finland, such as
- the European Convention on Human Rights,
- Convention against Torture,
- Convention on the Rights of the Child and
- the Geneva Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees.
Acknowledge service-specific legislation
Remember that, as residents of a municipality, immigrants are entitled to municipal services, and that different legislation applies to different services (such as day-care and early childhood education and care, basic education, social welfare, healthcare and housing). This legislation on specific services should be taken into account in integration work.
Aim of the Act on the Promotion of Immigrant Integration is to ensure equality
Integration policy promotes social inclusion of immigrants
Finnish legislation on migration (in Finnish)
Finnish migration policy