Under the Act on the Promotion of Immigrant Integration, the Centres for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment (ELY Centres) are responsible for the following duties concerning the integration of immigrants and the promotion of good ethnic relations in the areas coming under them:
- regional development, coordination and monitoring of integration and regional cooperation in integration matters;
- provision of municipalities with support and advice in the promotion of integration;
- provision of TE Offices with guidance, advice and support in integration;
- planning, procurement, and supervision of the integration training provided as labour market training;
- drawing up and implementation of the regional strategy covering the assigning refugees to municipalities;
- agreement on the establishment of family group homes and other housing units intended for unaccompanied minors and young persons residing in the country and the supervision of their operations;
- promotion of good ethnic relations and a dialogue between cultures;
- other duties specifically laid down for it in this act.
An ELY Centre may appoint a regional committee for immigration matters tasked with developing and planning the promotion of immigrant integration and promoting non-discrimination. ELY Centres also support the preparation of municipal integration programmes in their areas and monitor their implementation. ELY Centres cooperate with Regional State Administrative Agencies when performing the duties laid down for them in Act on the Promotion of Immigrant Integration.