Skip to Content

Integration plan for a minor

Under the Integration Act, an integration plan is always drawn up for an unaccompanied 
minor entering Finland who has been issued with a residence permit.

An integration plan is drawn up for other minor immigrants if it is deemed necessary. The municipality is responsible for drawing up the integration plan of a minor. If necessary, it is possible to request advice from the TE Office or the local government pilot on employment if a young person's goal is to find work in the near future.

When the need for the integration plan for a minor is assessed, individual circumstances, the wishes of the minor and, in compliance with the Child Welfare Act, the minor's best interest and development stage are taken into account. (3) The integration plan is drawn up jointly with the child or the young person and his/her guardian or representative.

The integration plan of a minor is coordinated with the integration plan for the family and with other plans drawn up for the minor. It must be drawn up in multi-sectoral cooperation between the local authorities. The key actors are the representatives of municipal education, youth, and health and social services. Children and young people are usually directed to basic services. The services are adapted so that they support sufficiently the health of immigrant children and young persons, the development appropriate to their age level and their inclusion in society. The child’s or young person’s mother tongue and cultural background are also taken into account in the plan.

In addition to unaccompanied children and young persons, an integration plan drawn up in multi-sectoral cooperation benefits especially the following groups of people: persons who have moved to Finland at secondary school age, persons who have received very little schooling, and children and young people whose families have problems that risk their wellbeing.

For example, the integration plan of a minor may include

  • basic education studies
  • studies in general upper secondary education
  • vocational studies or studies leading to higher education
  • continuing education or further education
  • teaching in own mother tongue
  • child welfare measures or their aftercare
  • other social welfare and healthcare services (including mental health services)
  • workshop activities
  • guidance to hobbies and free-time activities
  • reinforcement of social and societal participation.

Read more:
Child Welfare Act 
Administrative Procedure Act 
Integration plan for a family (Only in Finnish)